Competent Persons Schemes for Plumbers
The Competent Persons Scheme was introduced by the Department for Levelling Up Housing & Communities, to enable companies to self-certify plumbing and heating works that fall under the scope of Building Regulations. Self certification provides a much more cost effective route compared with the alternative of notifying work through local building control bodies.
To self-certify plumbing and heating works that fall under the scope of Building Regulations, companies must become certified Competent Persons Scheme installers through a Competent Persons Scheme Certification Body such as APHC Certification Ltd.
Plumbing and heating companies can join the scheme provided they meet the scheme requirements as outlined in the scheme documents, available to download below.
Following completion of the initial application form, the assessment process comprises of:
1. Desktop evaluation of the company management system. This part is a pre-check to confirm company readiness for its assessment under the scheme. Information on company procedures is provided to APHC Certification ltd. for a desktop evaluation which takes place at our premises.
2. Head office assessment of the management system. This part of the process assesses the use and application of the company management system at the applicant company’s business or home office.
3. On-site assessment of installed work areas. This part assesses competence to install each of the technical work areas that form the company’s application under the scheme. The company will need to show one example of an installation for each work area it wishes to be certified to install.
Once approved, companies will have the ability to install and self-certify a range of permitted plumbing and heating works under the Competent Persons Scheme to Building Regulations from £1.85 per online notification.
Scope of work areas:
• Installation of Oil Fired Appliances covering:
– Oil Fired, Pressure Jet Appliances
– Oil Fired, Vapourising Appliances
– Oil Storage Tanks & Supply Pipelines
• Solid Fuel Appliances
• Woody Biomass Boilers
• Ground and Air Source Heat Pumps
• Solar Thermal Hot Water Systems
• Installation of Heating & Hot Water Supply Systems, inc.
Innovative Hot Water Systems
• Installation of Plumbing & Water Supply Systems, inc.
Water Efficient Taps & Showers covering:
– Wholesome & Softened Wholesome Water Supply
– Installation of Non-Wholesome Water Supply & Sanitary Conveniences inc. Flush Mechanism
– Sanitary Conveniences, Sinks, Washbasins, Fixed Baths, Showers or Bathrooms in Dwellings
1. This is the certification schemes application form which you will need to complete, sign and return to APHC Certification Ltd. with supporting information in order to make an initial application to join the Competent Persons Scheme.
2. This is the guidance for applications document which details the evidence requirements that you will need to provide as part of your application for the Competent Persons Scheme.
3. This is the certification schemes rules which lay down the rules of the Competent Persons Scheme which each company must comply with including company operating requirements, processes and procedures that must be in place.
4. This is the Competent Persons Scheme customer charter which lays down a minimum trading standard to be operated by all companies as part of the Competent Persons Scheme.
If you’d like to speak directly to the APHC Certification Ltd. membership sales team, contact us on : Tel: 0121 711 5030